Free SSL for your domain [simple steps]

I suppose you already know that is very important to have your website in security mode, for building trust for your customers and Search Engines, that’s why you have to install SSL (Secure Socket Layer) on your server. Earlier you had to buy one, but now you can have one for free, thanks to some online free services that provide you generate free SSL certificate for your domain.

There are many SSL providers, but they don’t give us free SSL certificates, maxim they can give us some trials for 90 days or two years or for some conditions, but we aren’t interested in these, that’s why today we’re going to talk only about services that give us free SSL certificates.

I have two in my list that I use, whether you have other, please leave them below as replies.

SSL For Free Logo

First which I want to show you is https://www.sslforfree.com/, that’s widely trusted and based on Letsencrypt the first non-profit CA. Their free SSL certificates are trusted in 99.9% of all major browsers. Also they support Multiple Domains and Subdomains and Prevent WWW from being Added. So use it whether you want to generate an SSL and install on your server, otherwise jump to next :wink:

From their website:

Multiple domains or subdomains are allowed and should be separated by spaces (e.g. “subdomain.domain.com domain.com otherdomain.org”). If the multiple domains or subdomains pertain to multiple directories then you must use manual verification and upload verification files to the correct directories.

We automatically add the www version of the domain if not already added as most users want that implicitly. To remove the www just submit the domains you want to verify then on the verification page near the top click on “Add / Edit Domains” and remove it and submit again.

Last but not least from my list is Cloudflare, this service is very simple and allow you to install SSL certificate with a simple button click, if you choose this way shall to have an account, whether haven’t one then register one for free. You don’t need to pay for activating HTTPS. Tell me if you need any help with that, maybe I’ll make another tutorial based only on Cloudflare.

From their website:

Cloudflare speeds up and protects millions of websites, APIs, SaaS services, and other properties connected to the Internet. Our Anycast technology enables our benefits to scale with every server we add to our growing footprint of data centers.

Generate SSL throught sslforfree

Open sslforfree website and put there your domain name and press “Create Free SSL Certificate” button:

Verifying your domain name, there are three steps - Automatic FTP Validation, Manual Verification and Manual Verification (DNS). You can choose your favorite, but now we’ll use Manual Verification without DNS.

SSL for free manual verification

And press button:

Manual verify button

Follow these instructions, and click:

Download Free SSL certification

Once you did download zip archive with generated certificate, you’re ready to install it on your server, I’ll make another tutorial with step by step about How to install SSL on NodeJS server. Let me know what server do you use for installing SSL, maybe I could help you.

Use free SSL certificate from Cloudflare

There are very simple steps!

1. Login into Cloudflare
  2. Select the website you want to enable SSL
  3. Click on Crypto tab
  4. Ensure it’s configured as “Flexible” and status shows as “ACTIVE CERTIFICATE”

It may take few seconds to go live, you can verify by accessing your website with https.

Conclusion

As you saw, there’s nothing hard here, just be careful and read all instructions which you have. Choose sslforfree.com whether you don’t have Cloudflare account or should have all certificates at you, or choose Cloudflare - there’s also much more and useful functions for your website - for example: Caching :wink:

I’ll be happy to know your impressions about this tutorial and your suggestions, also let me know what else I can do for you :wink:

• Satisfying
  • Well
  • So so

0 voters